Twitter: LexWili
IG: alexawill

Monday, March 23, 2015

42

PART ONE:
The movie 42 is about the legendary baseball player Jackie Robinson and his journey as he followed his dream. All Jackie wanted to do was play baseball and by doing so he became a catalyst for racial integration of the major leagues. I liked that the movie showed us the racism in baseball from Jackie Robinson's side. The movie made me feel bad for Jackie and his family and what he had to go through. The way Jackie was treated on and off the field was extremely despicable. Even some of his teammates, who are supposed to stand together, abused him in the beginning. It was crazy to me that they even tried to get a petition signed to get him off of the team before he even arrived. What had a lasting impression on me was the way that Branch Rickey decided to go against what everyone said to him and fight for Jackie's rights to play baseball. Even if his intentions were not the most moral at first, he ended up understanding what Jackie had to endure on a daily basis and was able to support him. This movie applies to today because unfortunately, there are still people who believe that darker-skinned people are a inferior to those who are lighter-skinned. There are still people who are discriminatory towards people who don't look like them.

PART TWO:
I do believe that Jackie Robinson helped this country. People like him in all aspects of american life who decided to stand up against patriarchal and institutional racism in efforts to improve life for them, their family, and their friends. Not only did Jackie Robinson pave the way for other black athletes, he was a positive example for others who wanted to live freely and without prejudice. An important lesson to learn from Jackie's life is to fight for what you believe in and follow your dreams despite other people's attempts to bring you down. I do agree with Jackie's quote because it says that people should work hard not only for themselves but to improve the life of others.

PART THREE:
I can utilize Jackie's 9 values in my school life. Courage to keep doing work even though I'm already in college,  determination to stay focused and not fail any classes, teamwork in track because you have to work as a team and not be selfish in order to succeed. Persistence to keep working hard even though there are barriers and obstacles such as the urge not to come to school. Integrity to not cheat and copy homework in calculus even though I'm failing. Citizenship when I try and assist other people with their work. I'm not sure about justice. Commitment because I promised my parents I wouldn't embarrass them and fail so I'm not going to. Excellence because I'm trying my hardest to make this the best blog I possibly can.

1 comment:

Burk said...

I enjoyed reading your post, particularly part three. Although it's a simple exercise, taking some time to reflect is always a good thing. Persistence and integrity - not too many things more important in my humble opinion. Nicely done!